Electrics - Cost is not as bad as it appears

gwright gwright at cfl.rr.com
Mon Aug 11 08:11:07 AKDT 2003

i would agree,.. although, the flight time with the lipo's can be
considerably longer than a flight with glow fuel, so you could adjust the
electric cost "per flight" to about 2/3 of what you have, since an actual
flight will only consume 1/2 to 2/3 of a pack , giving more of an advantage
to the e-power,..however, there's another side of the coin also,..charger
expense. you're not going to find a charger that will charge a 10-cell lipo
pack quickly for $200 ,.. it's closer to $400 for a schulze ISL6-636 which
will do up to 13 cells at 8 amps. Yes, the little 330 could do it (I think
it'll go to 10 cells, and it's $200), but it only does 5 amps, so charge
times are longer. Of course I'm very pro-electric :) ,.. but there is
reality to consider,.. and when factoring in everything (probably want a
couple chargers), the initial cost is quite high compared to glow. It's made
up over time, and is eventually very much in favor of electric,..but that
initial expense is pretty high.