Electrics - Cost is not as bad as it appears

Lee Davis lee at piedmontmodels.com
Mon Aug 11 07:09:06 AKDT 2003

I did a little quick and dirty math and while Jason's 3 batteries, at a
total cost of approximately $2000, seem prohibitively expensive, when you
compare them to glow fuel expense, they're competitive.

While the electricity used to charge the batteries isn't exactly free, it's
such a miniscule expense I'm calling it free.

The 3 batteries are good for 500-1000 charge/discharge cycles giving a total
of 1500-3000 flights, so the cost/flight is $.66-$1.33/flight.  Compare to
glow fuel for a 2 stroke @ $10-$15/gal costs around $1.50-$2+/flight.

The C50 motor plus with gear reduction plus speed controller sells for
around $600.  'Pretty much the same that we're paying for a 2 stroke plus
exhaust system.

The only thing extra is a charger.  Say, $200 for a nice one.  Not that bad
though, because I've seen some that charge everything, including RX/TX, so
it's more like replacing one charger with another.

Lee Davis
Piedmont Models
http://www.piedmontmodels.com/

# discussion-request at nsrca.org