Original Pattern Model

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 13:05:55 AKDT 2003

 The Orion was an Ed Kazmerski design out of Chicago and was kitted by Top Flight along with the Taurus and the high wing Tauri. They were all Ed's designs who won the WC in 1962. He flew Orbit Reeds and quit flying when proportional came to fruition. Mike

Bill Glaze <billglaze at triad.rr.com> wrote:Jim:
Close, but off by a year.  Howard Bonner won in 1956 with his design Smog Hog in Dallas; Dunham won in 1957 with Fred Dunn's designed Astro Hog.  He also won in 1958, and 1959.  After the contest, (1959) Bob told us that he was retiring from the Nats.  He said "I don't think it's good for anybody to win more than 3 times; it's not good for the sport.  And, I'm actually competing with my customers."
With respect to the Astro Hog, Fred always maintained that "all the Astro Hog is, is a low wing Smog Hog."  Maybe so, but worlds apart in performance.
BTW: Fred's first design Astro Hog was quite different from the eventual design.  I was there for the testing.  Disaster!
Echoes from the past.
Bill Glaze