Original Pattern Model

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Wed Aug 6 13:49:00 AKDT 2003

Yep.  In fact, the word after Howard won at Dallas, was that it was so
hot that the guys with new engines, (Fox .35's at the time) couldn't get
decent power; Howard's engine was worn out, so the higher temps.
actually helped him.  Could just have been a rumor, and I never asked
him..............(!<G>)  Wasn't sure what his answer would be; he was a
little on the humorless side!
Then Johnny Brodbeck brought out the K & B Green head, later adding an
exhaust baffle for reliable idle.  Just think; a real .45!  Whatter' we
ever going to do with all that power!?
But, in those days, the really good builders like Fred could bring in an
Astro Hog under 6 pounds.  Not bad with all those batteries, heavy
radio, etc.  And, the airplanes were 6 foot wingspread.  I would like to
see that happen today.  With today's radios, the airplane would weigh ~
5 to 5-1/2 lbs. BTW:   Not being half the builder that Fred was, mine
usually were in the 6-1/2 to 7 lb. range.  Still not a bad performer.
I've  got the hots to build another and go see the guys in SPA, just for
the nostalgia factor.

Bill Glaze