Paint.wings?

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Apr 29 15:48:48 AKDT 2003

In a message dated 4/29/2003 9:45:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
johnferrell at earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:Paint.wings?
> Date:4/29/2003 9:45:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:johnferrell at earthlink.net">johnferrell at earthlink.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:discussion at nsrca.org">discussion at nsrca.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> While we are talking painting how about a little discussuion on painting
> the
> surfaces we normally monokote?
>
> It looks like it is a given that paint weighs more than plastic, but how
> much more?
>
> How much surface prep is enough for paint?
>
> I have felt that every painted wing I have seen was way tougher than it
> needed to be?
> Any chance of trading some of this strength for a little less weight?
>
> I find the biggest problem with painting in general is that of setup/clean
> up. If I could just paint it all,
> covering would be easier...
>
> IS THERE a better way to do wings than skinning them with balsa?
>
> I don't like ironing any more that my wife does...

John,

I generally glass and paint my wings.

The heaviest wings for a 2 meter plane have weighed as much as 24 ozs each
RTF. This was a little larger original design Enigma, (mine was b4 the ZN
Line bird BTW),  right at 1240 sq in total. All balsa construction

The lightest have weighed in at 14.5 ozs RTF (no retracts, just aileron servo
and linkage) for a 1010 sq in wing. Honey combed foam and balsa construction

BTW, the difference in flying ability and general handling is huge, as
expected

Matt Kebabjian