Need Help on YS 61R Long Stroke!!!

jed241 at msn.com jed241 at msn.com
Tue Apr 29 17:54:12 AKDT 2003

Re: Need Help on YS 61R Long Stroke!!!
The pain of a learning curve for a rookie.ha.

I replaced the diaphragm and plunger.

Started right away and noted that it did run better. I had the high speed needle opened up about 2-1/2 turns and eased the throttle to about 1/2, 7,500rpm no problem. Ran it for about 30 seconds then started to throttle up and whaaammmm died.Threw the spinner, prop, everything.

Good news is that my son and I stay behind the plane during this time.

Spinner is damaged and couldn't find the prop washer. Found the key for the drive washer, but not the prop washer, go figure.

Now the question of the day, "Am I still fighting the original problem or something else". I think this is a normal event when you run it too lean, please let me know for sure.

Is 2-1/2 turns enough to have prevented a lean situation?

The pipe is in the same location as when I got the plane. The original owner was very successful with this set up in this plane. The only thing different is that I fly Airtronics.ha.don't think that's it.

Any advise will help.I will need to get another spinner and adaptor.

Is anyone going to Dayton on the 31st of May that could help if I brought this plane? I will bring an Aresti to fly sportsman with, so far it's running very strong with a new YS 63. I just need to get the hard hats for the judges when I fly.ha.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Larry