YS 140DZ!

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Thu Apr 24 13:22:28 AKDT 2003

Yes if you richen the pump....it will build more pressure and cause the High
end to go richer......same size hole but more pressure behind it makes for
more flow through the hole!

So you will need to lean the top end to maintain the proper needle setting.

I set the top end as Don Sczur described. I set the needle at about 2
turns...I run it up to full throttle for a few seconds about 3-4...then I
come back to idle and dial the needle valve leaner by about a 1/4 turn or
so...It depends on how rich or lean it was at the 2 turn setting.....I can
tell with my ear. Maybe you can tell on a Tach.....

At the new high speed setting I throttle it up again for a few seconds...and
listen for the prop to start to scream....By the way I use a smaller
diameter prop like a 16-12 it allows you to hear the changes...the big props
don't.....Or I look at a Tach and see in the range of 8400-8800 rpm....and I
start to make small changes in the High end needle like 1/8th then throttle
it up....and look for a peak....then I lean another say 1/16th and look for
a peak.....then its a click or two and look for the peak...once the peak is
found or if I'm happy with the power and rpms....I just either leave it or
back it off slightly say about 300 rpms.....I just have experience with the
motor to know that if I'm at 8300-8400 that is enough power for my
needs.....Then I fly it.....

If I can get about 10mins on a tank before ether first burp I know this is
typical...If it only goes like one sequence and a couple maneuvers I know
its rich still....and I lean it maybe a 1/8th and fly it.....You will know
when it gets lean as it will start to get rough sounding at full (not really
a detonate sound...detonate sound is usually way to rich on the DZ)....I can
tell by my smoke trail, by my fuel economy and by the sound of the
motor.....

As stated before the DZ doesn't present astonishing numbers on the
ground...but on the top of a figure 9 with 3/2 rolls or on the upside of a
rolling loop it really shows.......

TN