Anyone have any experience with the new Triton Charger/Cycler ?

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP (Test Ops) James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Fri Apr 11 07:22:23 AKDT 2003

Hi Jason,

Are you using the "preset" conditions, or are you using the menus and
adjusting the "amps" that you either want to charge or discharge at?  For
the AA size nicad/nimh, I've been charging at 2 amps.  For the 12v sub-C
size starter battery I have on my Kavan, I've been charging at 4 amps.  I've
also charged a 24 amp/hr 12v gel cel with it.  However, it took about 10
hrs.  Also, I would recommend the "discharge-to-charge" function.  That is
what I mainly use for the nicad/nimh.  Set the discharge rate, and set the
charge rate on the same screen.  Its easy - maybe it will improve the state
of your overall battery charge.

I can't remember off the top of my head the name of "the" parameter that
lets you adjust the tightness (if you will) of the peak detection.  You
could adjust that and see if your results improve.  One thing I've read on
RCU is to NOT use the standard preset function.  IE, don't just plug in a
batter and select the type and charge.  Overall, I've seen a lot of
improvement in the way my starter is performing.  The nimh battery in my
pro-driver is also performing better.

Li-ion:  At this point, the charging ability for Li-ion batteries is totally
deficient, IMHO.  I'm using the Li-ions from www.superbatterypacks.com
<http://www.superbatterypacks.com/>   I am definitely going to continue to
use the dedicated charger for those.  However, for nicad, nimh, and Pb, I've
been very satisfied.

I'm not an expert with batteries or charging techniques, but this charger
seems to be doing what is promises.

Jim W.

Hi Jim,

  So far I've tried to charge 600 Mah, 700 Mah, and 1100 Mah NiCD 4 cell RX
packs, 600 Mah and 1100 Mah NiCD Tx packs, and a 1650 Mah NiMH all having
the same result... Premature Peaks. I have used all of the recommended
guidelines for setup from the included manuals and supplements and from the
knowledge of Red Scholefield (http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/
<http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/> ). I've tried the unit on several
different power supplies including my car and nothing seems to make a
difference. I'm starting to wonder if I might have a bad unit !!!  Let me
know if you have any suggested setups that might work for these packs.
Thanks so much for any help you might have into this matter.

Sincerely,

Jason K. Kroh