K-Factor vision of the future.

Larry Diamond jed241 at email.msn.com
Sun Sep 29 19:15:21 AKDT 2002

OK, can't resist putting in my .02 now...

A couple things have already been pointed out if the K-Factor is put online, I believe even with a limited paper copy or  Computer Disc media will be a step in the wrong direction...

1) Advertising Revenue may be reduced. Advertisers count on getting the biggest bang for the buck. So when I hand my copy of the K-Factor to another club member they are happy. I have done this on many occasions. Even let loose of a buyers guide to an interested party. It's about $$$ Vs getting the ad in front of as many people as possible. If you think the on-line guide will get the word out, take another look at the NSRCA counter and analyze by the number of different hits (Read as don't count anyone that looks twice).

2) I was talking with Mike Dunphy at the D3 Contest this weekend about my experience in trying to find out about Pattern. I went to a contest in the mid 80's and knew it was out there somewhere. In late 1999 I decided to start...It took 6 months to figure out how to find anyone with any knowledge about pattern. I visited local clubs and no one knew anything. It was very surprising to me that there is a sport that I was aware existed and yet 2 R/C Clubs didn't know what pattern was and not one mentioned anything about the NSRCA. I subscribed to the RCM and read the AMA magazines and still couldn't connect NSRCA to Pattern. After getting a tip, I finally got in contact with Tom Weedon who pointed me to a couple of Gent's about 2 1/2 hours from my house. They helped me out but, I've continued to struggle with getting a plane reliable enough to feel good about traveling to a contest (not to mention a few personal issues that pretty much took over for the past year or so). I plan on getting out there next year and getting to the contests...

3) Ever wonder how many people actually touch the K-Factor on it's way to our house. Sure postal workers are busy and probably don't read them on break. However, I would bet a few in the postal service are also in the AMA and I would bet the covers catch their attention, just one example...

Long winded I know, sorry...However, We need a hard copy K-Factor out there. I would highly recommend a subscription to non-members for revenue. If it cost $1.00 per extra copy to print, then charge $1.50 and push them in hobby stores and events like Toledo. We must get the word out to grow. We can't accept the fact that people can't find the NSRCA. We must brainstorm on how to be effective and utilize the K-Factor to its fullest. Push the subscriptions and that will mean more advertising income as well as revenue from subscriptions at the stand. Even Non-NSRCA Subscribers should be welcome. Not an easy task, but well worth the pain! To be successful, we must be on time every time. The K-Factor should be planned out three months ahead of time not the month before. (Brian, this isn't a dig against you. I believe it's the system that's broke not an individual).

If the K-Factor is a trade secret magazine then lets go on-line and CDR. >From my experience the K-Factor is on the top of the list of a best kept secrets. I'm speaking from personal experience. We must discuss ways to reverse this trend. The current thread will nail the casket shut...Newsletters are in a separate class and should not be compared to the NSRCA magazine....

Flame suit on!!!!

Larry Diamond
NSRCA 3083
AMA 5024