canopy mold

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sat Sep 28 16:17:17 AKDT 2002

In a message dated 9/28/2002 5:46:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sanorth at shaw.ca writes:

> HU  i know this is off topic but i recently purchased a canopy for a
> discontinued a/c.it was not cheap by the time i got it.i'd like to build
> more than one of these planes but want to make a glass version for future
> planes.can a person take plasticast etc,pour it inside the canopy(excess
> plastic still intact)take the form have it kilned and then use it to lay
> glass cloth/epoxy making a glass version.any one who has done something
> similar or has a good suggestion for what to use etc greatly
> apreciated,thanks......shel

SHEL,

Making molds is fairly straight forward modeling technique that is not too
tricky to learn. One of the simplest methods I have found in the literature
is on the Composite Structures Technology (CST), website. It is very similar
to the techniques I use when I make mine. Go to their website and look under
Mold Making, where they describe building a simple female mold for a cowl.
Extend the method to your canopy

As you get more experienced with the mold making technique, "clamshell" molds
for making propellers, landing gear, spinners or other more complex parts,
are also fair game. Hope this helps

Matt Kebabjian