Pattern Fun / scribe / Judging

Mark Wendt wendt at kingcrab.nrl.navy.mil
Mon Sep 23 02:30:44 AKDT 2002

Larry,

         I'm with you 100%.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Like you I
wasn't there, and I'm sure there were circumstances involved we know
nothing about.  And not knowing what class the pilot was flying, he may
have been up to his neck in alligators if he was in one of the lower
classes, and the additional pressure and strain introduced by the judge was
unnecessary.  The pilot was no longer concentrating solely on the flight,
which can cause safety of flight issues.  At a busy contest, with two
lines, this can cause real problems.

         I think the issues leading up to the confrontation should be
handled at the pilots meeting, before any fuel is pumped, and laid to rest
there.  The issue of the pilot/caller needing or not needing to call the
maneuver to the judge should be gone over before the contest gets under
way, so that everyone is singing from the same sheet of music.

         And hard feelings generated by an incident such as this can have
some big repercussions.  The other pilots, seeing this display may think,
well if this contest has judges like this, I'm not going to come back.  Or,
on the other hand, if the judges see shouting back and forth between pilot
and judge, and the CD lets them get away with it, they may not come back
and judge.  It's a two-edged sword.  Hopefully, the CD handled this
situation in a dignified and diplomatic way, the contest got back under
way, and there were no hard feelings after the fact.

Mark

# discussion-request at nsrca.org