Pattern Fun / scribe / Judging

Larry Diamond jed241 at email.msn.com
Sun Sep 22 08:26:12 AKDT 2002

Mark,

I agree with you that it's was unprofessional for the judge to act in the
manner described. However, two wrongs don't make it right. More often than
not, the second foul draws the flag or penalty.

There are probably a number of different ways for the CD to handle this and
perhaps the CD did handle it well. None the less, a yelling match should
never happen during a contest. The pilot should not have engaged the judge
even if the judge was unfair. The pilot should have plead the case to the CD
after the flight. A number of possible remedies could have been made by the
CD which could have been  to allow the pilot to scrub that flight and make
it up at the end of the round; or, scrub the round, replace the judge and
redo the round.

I would hope, and state during a pilot meeting if I was a CD, that a judge
and/or pilot give me the opportunity to resolve a problem instead of taking
it into there own hands. In the situation described I'm certain that it
removed an element of fun and camaraderie for a period of time or for the
whole event for that matter. The situation wasn't fair to the majority of
participants and the CD, setting aside the judge and the pilot involved.

I wasn't there and I'm sure there are two sides to the story, so I can't say
how I would have handled it. However, based on what I understand for the big
picture the pilot should have been held accountable to the rule book. The
level of accountability is very subjective and depends on the severity of
the conflict. To your point, perhaps the judge should have been held
accountable as well. Perhaps they both were...

Larry