Pattern Fun / scribe / Judging

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Sun Sep 22 04:25:24 AKDT 2002

--On Saturday, September 21, 2002 10:51 PM -0500 Larry Diamond <jed241 at email.msn.com> wrote:

> My opinion on the pilot or caller calling the maneuvers is pretty strong....

My opinion is weak and wobbly.  I'm not a seasoned competitor.

> The pilot is the one being judged, not the judge.

True.

My opinion is that the caller serves the pilot, not the judges.
If a judge needs help remembering the maneuvers, let his scribe
call quietly for him.

> I have seen pilots cover
> errors with precision and sometime a judge doesn't see it.

The pilot's job is to fly with precision.  Over a lifetime
of competition, I believe the gimmes will even out with
the gotchas.

> If the maneuvers are called loud enough for the judges to hear ...

As someone pointed out, a good caller talks with the pilot
and supplies information as needed and when needed, but
otherwise lets the pilot fly.  The caller's focus should,
in my opinion, be strictly on doing what the pilot needs.

						Marty #2874
# discussion-request at nsrca.org