Tuned pipe or muffler with large 2-Strokes?

Adam Glatt adam.g at sasktel.net
Sat Sep 21 06:53:56 AKDT 2002

I have never heard any 2 stroke user complain about spool up time, and I have never felt it was a disadvantage.  I don't think there is an issue with it on a properly set up tuned pipe.  The only time spool up time on a 2 stroke becomes slow, that I have experienced, is if I have a poorly tuned pipe and run at half throttle.  It will load up at half throttle and take around 3 seconds to get to full throttle.  Get the pipe length right, though, and this disappears.

The biggest advantage a 4 stroke has above a 2 stroke is in downline braking, from what I have seen.  They don't seem to hold their idle RPM like a 4 stroke does, so the downlines are a little faster.