Tuned pipe or muffler with large 2-Strokes?

ROBERT PASTORELLO faipatrn at msn.com
Sat Sep 21 04:16:02 AKDT 2002

There's a variety of perspectives on this question.  As a "tinkerer", I've chosen to use mufflers because of the reasons you identified.  With the OS 1.6, ST 1.4, and now the Webra 1.45, I've found them to be very solid with mufflers.
  Dealing with the "spool up" is a different situation, and I think that it is exacerbated by a sharply-tuned pipe.  If you have a broad peak, then I've been told it's easy to deal with.
  On my own setup, I've found the cure to be careful use of the Throttle Curve (function 18 on JR 10X) to solve the spool up.  It's a strange looking curve, sort of like reverse expo for the first third, then normal expo for the next third, then straight linear for the last part.  SO far, it works, and it's close.  Still tweaking.
  SO my answer is - pipe or muffler - play around with the throttle pushrod geometry and the curve to fix the ills....

Bob P.
faipatrn at msn.com
www.rcaerobats.net