OS 140 RX with Dual Plug Conversion plus Webra Memories <Long>

Chuck Wagoner chuckwagon at charter.net
Wed Sep 18 10:48:08 AKDT 2002

Matt,
Your point:"The idea is to get uninterrupted air flow in the throat of the
venturi, by moving the spray-bar against the wall of the venturi. Better
breathing results in more power for a given set of parameters." is a very
good one, and I think "uninterrupted" deserves several additional comments,
especially for those who have not seen a slide valve function.
With the slide valve the air flow is straight through  the variable orifice
to the spray bar. However, for the purpose of comparison consider air
flowing toward a spray bar through a carb with openings in a rotating barrel
inside a fixed cylinder. The flow path of the air has somewhat of a 'Z' or
'S" shape. This means two relatively gradual changes in direction of air
flow occur at half throttle and increasingly severe changes in direction
happen as the idle position is approached. This rapidly reduces the velocity
and energy of the stream of incoming air and it's ability to spray the fuel
via high quality external atomization from the spray bar. Quality of
atomization decreases at the critical idle position. Local
air-to-ATOMIZED-FUEL-ratio (rich/lean etc.) could bounce around in a
non-linear fashion and reduce combustion stability, heat release rates, and
efficiency. This could cause a richening-mixture effect on throttle up as
atomization improved and efficiency increased. Also it could promote
unwanted combustion quenching (chilling) at or near idle.

I feel that a slide valve carb retrofit in combination  with dual plugs
could give very serious top and carefree performance without
significantly-increased weight, electronic complexity, or small diameter
fuel injection ports. The Webra slide valve was not at all sensitive to fuel
properties over my one-year period of heavy use back then with fun fly
contests almost every weekend in the
Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia circuit. Zero problems of any kind. My
total engine back up on the road consisted of a spare prop nut and some
wooden props. At that time I paid $100 for the new engine.

Chuck