Li-Ion packs > battery check

Wade & Barbara Akle wb_akle at msn.com
Sun Sep 8 04:51:34 AKDT 2002

Here's the best flight battery check I found after trying nearly all of them. It's a lo-cost, direct, no-brainer. I have not used it with with Li-Ion (need to reset regulator) but with NiCd and NiMh. Get a lo-cost multiple light battery indicator (Hobbico volt-watch or equivalent for $12). With a 5-cell pack I recharge if the max indicator light drops with all servos fully deflected; no need to be so conservative, but I get over 6 flights anyway and the Sirius fast charger is in the car, and I also get a constant/steady voltage at the servos. With a 4-cell pack you again deflect all the servos and watch how much drop in the lights there is. For the 1st few times only, measure the battery voltage and correlate at which indicator you want to recharge. Every time you turn on the plane, you are checking the battery voltage with your actual servo setup at full static load. Any abnormality in the pack or plane, servo drag, or unusual condition will stand out.
There is no fancy 'gizmo' that will do all this so clearly using your actual servos. Anybody can beat this for simplicity and safety?
Wade