K-Factor Pattern an invisible group

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Thu Oct 31 11:20:20 AKST 2002

I've been reading about the hard time some of you have gotten from your
intrenched clubs' group of 'non-Pattern' pilots.  I have had two
completely different reactions by local pilots.  My 'home' club is the
Eglin Aero Modellers.  I have been involved with Pattern within this
club for just over 30 years(!).  I have gotten nothing but positive
contests for most of those years and it was not uncommon to have 30+
non-Pattern-flying club members helping to put on the contests.

Contrast that with a club, called the Holley Flyers who fly at Holley
OLF (a U.S. Navy auxilliary field) near Navarre, FL.  If the site name
is familiar, it is because it was the site of the 1999 F3A Team
Selection Finals and the 1999 F3A World Championships.  Since it is an
active Navy field, access to the field is limited to weekends and
federal holidays.  During preparations for both events, we had work
parties preparing the site every two weeks for over six months.  We had
work party volunteers from the Northwest Florida Modelers (Tony
Stillman's club) and my club.  The Northwest Florida Modelers members
had to drive about 30 miles to help; my club members had to drive about
45 miles.  We never had any volunteers from the club on whose site the
events were held!  Further, few club members even went to the field when
the events were held and none of them lifted a hand to help.  All they
did was whine later that 'their' field had been appropriated by 'those
Pattern fliers' for three weekends that year.

Can you top this?  I hope not.

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org