K-Factor Pattern an invisible group

Chuck Czarnik cczarnik at arclp.com
Thu Oct 31 11:25:39 AKST 2002

I just finished my Focus, and I'd be lying if I didn't say that I had some
sticker shock.  But I would expect that in any competitive segment of the
hobby.  The question is But that's OK because I'm hooked on the sport now.

Maybe the issue is what does "competition" really mean.  For Sportsman
pattern in my district, it means scratch built Typhoons from somewhere in GA
;-)  This is a very different kind of competition than a local club that
throws a race 3 times at the field each year that has trainers in it.  I
think they're apples and oranges, so I would not expect the turnout at a
pattern meet that one of these races generates, because the level of
commitments are very different.

And even with lots of practice, it's intimidating to come in as a newbie.  I
flew Sportsman in practice for a couple of months.  I thought I was pretty
good.  But when I showed up at the Harvest, AL meet last March, I didn't
even get my little Hobbico Spectrum out of the car once I saw all of the
2m's warming up that I'd be flying against!  It was just really really
difficult to take that first step (but easy after that!).

One way to bridge this gap would be more of the "pattern fun-fly" type
events, similar to what was held in Harvest Alabama this July.  This was a
pattern-type event with relaxed rules (and some pretty good prizes) that was
intended to expose folks who had never flown 401 to the concept of being
judged critically.  One of the clubs in the Nashville area had a "pattern
clinic" earlier this year also.  And then there was the Nashville contest in
May where a $100 Gift Cert. was offered to the highest scoring local newbie.
It seems like these kinds of efforts certainly promote the SIG.  And it
seems to work around here, as it has hooked several of us this year, and I
just saw one of the local club officers show up with an EU-2(?) last week
that he is going to use for a run in 401 next year!

Chuck