K-Factor Pattern an invisible group

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Thu Oct 31 10:41:27 AKST 2002

Jim

The stuff describing your patent club reasons for not flying pattern are
nearly identical to what I hear in the Dallas area.  Club members have
standard answers and most of them no matter what you say will ever change
their mind. I reckon it to a discussion about religion, people will talk,
complain etc but rarely if EVER change religions because of something they
were told. I too put up with "bull" surrounding the fact that I fly
pattern at a "stick" club. Once in a while if give them grief back, and
hence the saying "pattern stuck up attitude". I should keep my mouth shut.
I am also my club president so at our meetings it is open season on
"pattern" simply because I fly it. I have heard some very rude remarks.
So! My strategy is "Screw the old club farts". I concentrate on a fresh,
un poisioned  person, like the guy who posted a "beginner" thread earlier
this week, Keith Black.  Had he joined the club before meeting me and had
listened to the crap flying behind me while I am flying, he may have never
considered talking to me due to me being too stuck up. Instead, he met me
first, asked incredible questions for a guy who had never flown pattern,
and is well on his way to being a great pattern pilot! I make a point when
I see a new face to introduce myself and let them know what pattern is,
and that it is NOT what the old club farts will soon be spewing-as soon as
my wheels are up.
The fact that the survey mentions no local support I do believe is legit.
Lance and I were the only pattern flyers for a long time(at the RRCC), but
as we pick up a few guys here and there people see that it is interesting
and in fact we are the largest group of guys doing the same thing in the
club. The combat guys have 2-3 we now have 5-6 alot of time all working
with each other just before a contest. This REALLY helps our image.

I t is funny that as low of an opinion that I have for various types of
flying, and the associated personalities behind such garbage
planes/flying/attitudes
I keep it to myself until just now...for the most part. BUT the old club
farts have GOT to let me know WHATS WRONG WITH FLYING PATTERN. And the
real funny thing is they have never flown pattern, never practiced
pattern, never been to a pattern contest.

Such is the burden we bear. Gene-are you gonna vomit?

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering