WAS - KFactor Now "Members"

Keith Black tkeithb at attbi.com
Thu Oct 31 23:52:54 AKST 2002

You've hit the nail right on the head Bill. In fact, the talk in the circles I was in before I met Gray and Lance was that the "old" style pattern was dead, or dying, and "everyone" was moving to IMAC which has more interesting sequences and maneuvers than the "old" pattern flying (this of course coming from people that hadn't probably flown pattern in a decade or two).

The ironic thing about IMAC being more popular than pattern is that the number two reason on the survey to not participate in pattern is that it's too expensive. However we all know that competitive IMAC planes are WAY more expensive than the best pattern plane. This should tell us something. The real reason pattern is not growing more is because of the number one reason, "No local interest", or better translated, "not enough exposure/mindshare". As you point out IMAC is the rage, from the manufactures to the magazines, all across the board. Why, because people don't understand IMAC. They think it's all about Torque Rolls and Harriers, not precision aerobatics, and let's face it, that stuff really draws attention. Also, TOC has done wonders for giving mindshare to IMAC. One of the guys at our club had his plane already overpowered and told me he was going to put an even larger engine on it. I told him I didn't see why he'd add a larger engine as the one he had seemed way more than adequate. He told me was going to do this because was learning how to fly "IMAC". I could tell he had no idea what he was talking about so I said, oh really, what sequence are you flying. "What do you mean?", he says? "Well, you know IMAC is primarily flying precision patterns much like pattern fliers do", I said. "Oh, I'm not doing that I'm just doing the 3D hovering stuff", he said.

This is pretty much the view that many have about IMAC, they think it's all about 3D. This masses of people are really just flying IMAC style planes and goofing off, which is OK, but it's not really IMAC. And with all those IMAC planes in everyone's hangers when people do decide to compete where do you think they're going to go? Once they get involved in IMAC they may be surprised to find out they're going to spend most of their time on sequences, but this isn't going to make them leave IMAC and come to the pattern crowd. BTW, I wonder how participation in IMAC competitions is growing compared to pattern?

So what from the survey can we exploit to draw new fliers to Pattern over IMAC? Ironically it's exactly what was stated as being the number 2 reason not to fly pattern... cost!  When talking to potential new pattern fliers get the message across that 1) Sportsman pilots can compete with virtually any sport plane, no need to be a pattern plane. Just fly what you've got, there is no cost in that!  2) If participants progress in the sport and become competitive at higher levels they can be on a level playing field even at the FAI level for a reasonable cost, unlike IMAC where they would spend $5,000 to $7,000 for a 33% or 40% plane. 3) Competitive 33% and %40 IMAC planes are so big that it's difficult to carry and store them, most guys have to buy a trailer.  4) IMAC and pattern contests are very similar as they both fly sequences.

And don't forget to communicate what's probably the best kept secret in the non-pattern circles, the best pilots in the world all started in, and many still compete in, pattern. It's the discipline they learned in pattern that allows them to do well in IMAC.

BTW, regarding the competition for mindshare between Pattern and IMAC, we all recognize that sequences (Pattern or IMAC) will never be as interesting as freestyle. So now we have people in the pattern community trying to get Artistic Aerobatic going. I think this is great, but honestly I feel the name "Artistic Aerobatic" does not benefit the pattern community as well as it could. If AA does take off and grow in popularity people may not associate it with Pattern (RC Aerobatics). For that matter did anyone consider that the initials AA are the same as Alcoholics Anonymous? Everyone knows that IMAC Freestyle is associated with IMAC, in fact most think that's all IMAC is. We should call it Pattern Freestyle, or RC Aerobatic Freestyle or something that ties it to pattern (it's all marketing folks). Furthermore, I think everyone in the pattern community should jump on this AA bandwagon starting next season. Holding an AA event at the end of every pattern contest could draw local interest, get mindshare, and who knows, we might even find that we enjoy it, sounds like fun to me!

Keith Black