AMA Magazine Article - the paragraph

Ron Van Putte vanputte at nuc.net
Wed Oct 2 07:15:45 AKDT 2002

Larry Diamond wrote:

> Mike, I will second that...I have attended  couple contest in California in
> the mid 80's when I first got the bug. This is from someone that carried
> that bug since and just now starting to get involved. I have attended a
> couple contest in D4 and most recently the D3 Championship contest.
>
> At the D3 Contest this past weekend, I learned what pattern was all about. I
> showed up and only knew one person that I met only once before. He
> introduced me to Mike Dunphy and I met many others at the contest. This was
> a class act and sets the standard of how a contest should run. Everyone was
> very helpful and offered there help with any questions or problems I might
> run into. Makes me wonder where the EGO problems are. I haven't seen
> them -ever-!!! Only negative vibes came from an IMACer....
>
> To be fair to Mike Hurley, I propose that Eric or an Officer of the NSRCA
> confront him with the voice of the NSRCA and request an explanation for the
> article. I feel that a retraction or an apology is in order. I also
> recommend articles in Pattern columns with positive comments with out
> blasting at IMAC. We need to rise above it and press on....

I met Larry at the D-3 contest last weekend when Mike Dunphy introduced
him.  I didn't have much chance to talk with him because I was next up
and was on my way to pick up my transmitter and fly.  When I went
looking for him to complete the discussion after the flight, I couldn't
find him.  Upon reflecting, Larry could have thought I brushed him off
and that's how many contest newcomers might see us because we are so
focused on doing what we have to do at a contest.  I look forward to
talking with Larry and other contest newcomers in the future.

Ron Van Putte

# discussion-request at nsrca.org