AMA Magazine Article - the paragraph

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Wed Oct 2 06:29:54 AKDT 2002

--On Wednesday, October 02, 2002 10:01 AM -0400 John Ferrell <johnferrell at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I am amazed at the length of this thread.

I've snipped some of your remarks in order to
shorten it.  :o)

> The important thing about this artical is not that it happened or that it
> was written in a magazine.

I see these as two separate issues.

> The real importance is that it shows that a negative experience can have a
> long term impact.

In my view, the error of the author and publisher was
broadcasting a "negative experience" AS IF it represented
the whole story of pattern flying.

> We can strive to do better in the future, but we cannot do anything about
> the past.

I am asking that a policy be put in place for future
allegations of this nature.  I respectfully suggest
that MA should not print things like this.

> This thread seems to be holding the victim responsible.

Mike H. was not the victim.

The editor of MA was not the victim.

They chose to publish "the victim's" claims.

> He has
> only called attention to to the importance being "nice folks" at all times.

That point could have been made without the slam at
pattern.

> Nothing shows a person's true character better than a disaster.
> When you are having a bad day it is no excuse for being crude and rude.

Agreed.

					Marty #2874
# discussion-request at nsrca.org