Weight Limit problem long

Kurt Bozarth kurt at bozarthhomes.com
Mon Nov 11 11:19:56 AKST 2002

Anthony,

I have found pylon racing to be about 1/4 the price of pattern.  At the
local level (sport Q500/Nelson Q500/Q40), the pressure to have the best
of the best is not there.  Many racers use their trusty old 4-6 channel
radios.  Airframes are far less complex and thanks to the Lanier
Predator (an ARF Q500), beginners have an easy way into the hobby (and
relatively inexpensive).  A few race with the latest composite airframes
in the Nelson class but most still use the cheaper foam/balsa models.
As far as motors, not much of a choice thanks to Nelson and Jett. Pay
the $$ and you get a complete setup just like the next guy - out of the
box these motors are competitive (at the local level).  A 5-year old
properly maintained Nelson will do just fine unlike the ever changing YS
scene.  No need for aftermarket mufflers or pumps, etc.  Finishes are
basic.  The speed still intimidates the beginner but we have a trainer
race (Cadets, etc) at each local contest.

allows newbies to focus more on their flying skills.

Kurt