- Brace yourself!!! 2-cycle pipes and coupler material

Chuck Czarnik cczarnik at arclp.com
Mon Nov 4 07:48:30 AKST 2002

I'm going to use a Greve on a 1.60 with Hatori wraparound.  I only have
bench time right now.  My first setup was to set the end of the pipe about
30" from the glow plug.  This required about 4" of coupler between the end
of header and beginning of pipe.  This setup would turn an APC 17x13 8100 on
the second tank of gas.  The problem was that it is loud--  The ear-tickling
kind of loud.  Most of the noise appears to be coming through that long
silicone coupling as it heats up and gets soft.

The next experiment will be with a normal coupling, which will bring the
pipe into around 26-27".  Hopefully it will be much quieter, but maybe too
short.  If there is a power loss from the previous test, I'll use a piece of
aluminum tube instead of long silicone and adjust length until I get it
right.  If I get it back to the 8100's, that's enough power for me (even
though that was a swag in the first place).  I'm confident that it will
work.  Hope this helps, Chuck