Hot Wire

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sat Nov 2 18:05:58 AKST 2002

Recently, I purchased a HOT WIRE foam sculpting tool from Composite
Structures Technology (CST) and have the following to share with the folks on
the list who build their models:

The unit I purchased is the one with the 5" long cutting wire. The wire is
flexible but gets hot enough where a minimal bending is observed when cutting
the foam. I used it to honeycomb the foam wing panels on the replacement wing
I am building for my Allianz. I used a 12 volt X 800ma transformer, directly
connected to the hot wire device for power. There was no need to regulate
this small power supply and it worked like a charm. No no crocodile clips and
lead wires to mess with.

The beauty of this arrangement is its simplicity and very short time
requirements to get the job done. I don't have to fish the NiCr wire through
holes, attach crocodile clips etc, etc. to cut the required holes. I simply
pushed the hot wire from one side only, through the holes marked on my
cardboard template, and cut the foam to the prescribed outline. Since all the
work is done from one side, it goes very fast, and you get a professional
result in about 1/2 hour per panel.

Building season is practically here for much of the country. I will be
writing about the technique in more detail in an upcoming KFactor, but by the
time you get it, it will be spring and of little use then. So if you are
interested in the device, go to the CST website and order one. It's 30$ and
worth the money.

A word of caution, don't use more than 1 amp of currnt or more than 12 volts.
The wire could get red hot and get  destroyed.

Matt K