WAS - KFactor Now "Members"

Mark Wendt wendt at kingcrab.nrl.navy.mil
Sat Nov 2 06:33:36 AKST 2002

Joe,

         I understand that.  I write for an on-line magazine as a
contributing editor (non-paying also, I do it because I enjoy it, and I
have the background to be able to write on the subjects we publish on), and
I know how hard it is sometimes to get articles written by members of the
group.  Writing a technical article is no small task, and one of the most
important factors in writing an article such as this, is knowledge of the
subject.  Second most important factor, is being able to communicate the
knowledge in a way that your audience understands.  Go the opposite way
with either one of these factors, and your audience turns off on the
article immediately.  This is where the veterans that have been
building/flying for a long time can really help out.  I've belonged to this
list for a few years, and I have to say that I've never really seen a push
from anyone on the list to get some of the most knowledgeable pattern folks
to submit something to the K-Factor.  I don't know enough, haven't proven
myself enough to be able to write an article as an authority on some phase
of pattern.  Yet there are many folks on this list that have proven
themselves in the arena, in the shop, or instructing others that have the
basis for writing a good article.  Looking at the postings on the list over
the last few years, many of these folks know how to write fairly well,
too.  With a little editing help, many of you could get an article together.

         Contest reports, while for some people are very informative, to me
are utterly boring, and if the issue's contents are comprise mostly of
these, it goes into the recycling bin.  Much the same as I do with Model
Aviation.  Maybe I'm selfish, but I really can't generate any interest in
what someone else did in a contest 2000 miles away from me.  I think the
NSRCA would be much better served by posting the individual contest results
on each district's web site.  Number one, it'd be more timely.  Number two,
only the interested parties need look up the results.

         If the only reason the K-Factor is(was) produced on a monthly
basis was to display the contest results, then go back to a newsletter
format.  On the other hand, if we want it to hold other content, and that
content arrives at the editors desk slowly, why put out a K-Factor on a
monthly basis.  Put it out quarterly, or even every other month,and really
have a nice publication filled with good content, posting contest results
on the web sites.

         Food for thought.

Mark

# discussion-request at nsrca.org