K-Factor Pattern an invisible group

Glen.Watson at aspentech.com Glen.Watson at aspentech.com
Fri Nov 1 08:15:49 AKST 2002

I agree pattern is not cheap.  But I do not feel the cost of a single
pattern ship really is the issue as to why folks choose not to fly and or
complete in pattern.  The change for most is investing in one aircraft
versus several.  It is not out of the ordinary within a flying season to
witness a local club member purchase and outfit multiple ARFS ranging in kit
cost from $200-$400 (not including engine and radio) within a single flying
season.  Speaking for my self it was a huge paradigm shift to go from owning
as many as five ready to fly sport aircraft to only having 1-2 pattern
aircraft.  I believe this is a real issue for a lot of folks.

I believe there are those who are fearful to allocate disposable income into
a smaller inventory of ready to fly aircraft that are perceived to be single
task oriented.  For this reason, IMHO that's why there is a surge in the
market for IMAC type aircraft. Even though they are expensive they are
perceived to be multi task (precision, freestyle, high show-off factor) type
machines that possess a large WOW factor when just sitting in the pit area.

What's funny is when I perform freestyle type maneuvers at the local club
field with a pattern aircraft, I consistently receive the same comment, "I
did not think your pattern airplane could do that".

Glen