History of the Ultimate Aircraft Corporation

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Wed Dec 11 19:41:11 AKST 2002

--On Monday, November 25, 2002 10:57 PM -0500 Rcmaster199 at aol.com wrote:

> Lance,

> The Ultimate Bipe was designed in a collaborative effort, taking some of
> the best features of the prototype model, to full scale. That's what i
> recall Don Lowe talking about many years ago now.

> Matt

I haven't talked with Don Lowe, but I've had many conversations
and exchanged lots of e-mail with Gordon Price, designer of
the Ultimate Biplanes.

RC may have played some role in the evolution of the design,
but it is rooted in Gordon's development of a wing, fuselage,
gas tank, wheel fairings, and other products for the Pitts
biplanes.  You can read the story as I understand it
at <http://moleski.net/ULTBIPE/index.htm>.

Gordon judged at the TOC for several years back in the
early 80s.  I haven't got that timeline nailed down yet.
I think his last year there may have been when that
European fellow tried to pass off a pattern plane as
a scale model of a Dalotel--Hanno Prettner?

No RC model pre-existed the 10-100 and the 10-200.
Gordon assigned the RC rights to a Canadian developer.
He has some plan sets available--see the links on my RC
page.  By the time Gordon produced the 10-300 and
the 20-300, he had had lots of contact with RC people
and--I think--was no longer judging at TOC.  The
press release announcing the design for the 20-300 is
from 1987.  Hanno Prettner's win with the Dalotel
"model" was before 1984, I believe.

					Marty #2874 (Paid in full.)
# discussion-request at nsrca.org