Involving the pattern community as a whole.

Tomanek, Wojtek tomanekw at saic-abingdon.com
Wed Dec 11 10:39:26 AKST 2002

Larry

Only because NSRCA membership does not include 100% of pattern pilots it
does not make NSRCA illegitimate organization to represent the pattern
community or significant part of it.  It does not have to represent "ALL
PATTERN FLYERS" -  it represents a group of pilots who happened to be a
significant majority of active pattern pilots - not all.  If members of the
NSRCA vote on how they want to do internal business that is the
organization's option and if they submit proposals to AMA on rules they
would like to follow while representing 80 or 90 percent of active flyers
that should have some significance.  It is like having an election for
political office the loosing party does not get to say much except follow
the new laws (requirements and regulations in our case) until the new
elections.  Conducting periodic polls through NSRCA/K-Factor does provide
good reflection of what the current views and preferences of the membership.
On the other hand when did AMA ask you last time what you thought of an
issue or how would you like to change/improve current contest requirements?
Are they forgetting that they should be doing things to better promote and
control among other things competition aerobatics.  AMA may have the
responsibility to all pattern pilots but does not appear to fulfill its
duties to best serve current interest of the pattern community - why, not
sure maybe because it takes work.  If the AMA lets us vote on the new rules
then all AMA members should be eligible to vote.  If the NSRCA solicits our
opinion and then shapes it into a proposal for a rule change that is
approved by AMA - guess what - the NSRCA members will shape the rules.

I guess the question is; should the AMA be representing pattern community
interest or be a check and balances organization for the competition rules
or maybe just an insurance agency.  Anytime it is more difficult to change a
rule than to change the IRS tax code, it is obvious that that there is
something wrong - especially when it is on the subject of flying model
planes for fun.  It is up to us to decide and do something about it.

Wojtek