Involving the pattern community as a whole.

Larry Ott lott at brown-strauss.com
Wed Dec 11 12:06:04 AKST 2002

Wojtek,

Please don't put the word "illegitimate" in my mouth, it was not
what I said or intended.

> Larry
>
> Only because NSRCA membership does not include 100% of
> pattern pilots it
> does not make NSRCA illegitimate organization to represent
> the pattern
> community or significant part of it.  It does not have to
> represent "ALL
> PATTERN FLYERS" -  it represents a group of pilots who
> happened to be a
> significant majority of active pattern pilots - not all.

I disagree! If we get the annex, we will be responsible for the
activities of ALL PATTERN FLYERS.

> If members of the
> NSRCA vote on how they want to do internal business that is the
> organization's option and if they submit proposals to AMA
> on rules they
> would like to follow while representing 80 or 90 percent of
> active flyers
> that should have some significance.

Significance yes, but not total control over the process as
would be the case with an annex.

> On the other hand when did AMA ask you last time what you
> thought of an
> issue or how would you like to change/improve current
> contest requirements?

Every time a Rules Change Cycle starts. I have the RIGHT to
submit proposals and have them reviewed and voted on by the
AMA Contest Board. If the Annex is approved, an AMA but non
NSRCA member will lose that right.

> Are they forgetting that they should be doing things to
> better promote and
> control among other things competition aerobatics.  AMA may have the
> responsibility to all pattern pilots but does not appear to
> fulfill its
> duties to best serve current interest of the pattern
> community - why, not
> sure maybe because it takes work.  If the AMA lets us vote
> on the new rules
> then all AMA members should be eligible to vote.  If the
> NSRCA solicits our
> opinion and then shapes it into a proposal for a rule change that is
> approved by AMA - guess what - the NSRCA members will shape
> the rules.

Under the present conditions, the AMA Contest Board oversees any
rules change request, and has in the past denied changes they did
not feel were in the best interest of all parties. With the NSRCA
controlling an Annex, there would be no outside oversight.

> I guess the question is; should the AMA be representing
> pattern community
> interest or be a check and balances organization for the
> competition rules
> or maybe just an insurance agency.

This is a question that needs serious thought.

Larry Ott - AMA 9872
          - NSRCA 3381

# discussion-request at nsrca.org