[NSRCA-dist8] DVP

Bob Crump bob.crump at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 13 14:10:16 AKDT 2020

	I guess I’ll throw in my two cents as well. I agree with Jim and Rick. I don’t see any examples where adding more contests increased participation. In fact, my opinion is, it may hurt participation. That said, I think for the District to try something to increase interest and participation is a worthwhile goal. You know what they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
	In the past I have tried on several occasions to encourage and cultivate interest in pattern flying and competing at pattern events and have not been very successful. I’m President of the Dusters club and their average age is probably in 60’s. They are not competitively oriented. Just a bunch of old guys who want to get together with their buddies and fly their sport/scale airplanes. A few of them have dabbled in either IMAC or pattern but lost interest.
	We’re pushing a large rock up hill. To develop interest in more clubs hosting pattern meets is going to take some leadership in those clubs to promote the event and the sport in general. That said, I’m skeptical it’ll work. I’m willing to help as much as I’m able but my pattern days are probably limited. We’re not getting any younger. I’ve been flying pattern off and on for almost 50 years.
	I saved the best for last. John Bently. Would be a fine DVP and I support his taking over as such.

Thanks, Bob Crump

Sent from my iPad