[NSRCA-dist8] DVP

Art Kelly afkelly25 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 10:55:53 AKDT 2020

Fellow D-8 pilots,

2021 is just around the corner. Planning for the new season is underway
and, in that regard, I need to inform everyone that while I will serve
through December I am able to continue as VP for the district in 2021. It's
important that the next person "in the chair" should have an opportunity to
get a head start. I have approached John Bentley about the possibility of
his assuming the position. John has graciously agreed to step into the
role. However, to respect the input of all D-8 pilots I would like to
receive your confirmation that you endorse John's taking on the job.

Secondly, thanks for the many responses to the suggestion of adding
contests in 2021. It's clear that many of us have concerns about having to
travel long distances to participate in district contests. The underlying
consideration in offering more contests is the decline in pattern
participation. (This is occurring in all NSRCA districts.) Over the past
several years we have seen that our newer pilots jumped into the water
after seeing one of our contests at their home field.  With that in mind,
John and I discussed the possibility of adding a contest in Washington and
another in Oregon for a total of eight. At all locations and especially new
locations efforts would be made to invite locals to come see the event. We
would ask D-8 pilots to make the effort to get acquainted with the locals
and to describe the elements of pattern flying.  Perhaps even to provide a
lunch-time window for some brief buddy box flying.

Structuring the season in this manner would enable some much needed
recruiting while producing a competitive  season. The district champions in
each class would be based on the best scores of (five or six?) contests.
This would enable pilots to schedule events while avoiding longer trips.

As always, these are not mandates but an attempt to generate ideas and
address needs in our hobby and our district. Please share your thoughts on
this approach.

Thanks,

Art