[NSRCA-dist8] Need

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 25 19:20:49 AKDT 2014

I was motivated by anticipating the number of charge cycles needed to replenish a days consumption. I didn’t want to stay up all night at a contest (Saturday night in a motel) charging batteries, nor did I want to deal with a generator. Parallel charging up to 6 flight packs (12-5S batteries) in a single session was really appealing, so I opted for the 1500 watt power supply and 2 30 Amp chargers.
This is where the two beer charging session took hold. I don’t pamper my batteries, leaving them charged until my next flying session. My total conversion to LiPo batteries allows the convenience of having batteries charged when ever I get the urge to go flying. Occasionally I will charge the 5S batteries individually to try to maintain a better cell-cell balance but running cheap batteries this may not make any difference, but I once burned $300 of fuel a season so I can’t complain about some battery loss.
The big expense is still contest lodging and transportation, way more than the plug & play charge box.
Jim