[NSRCA-dist8] Classic Pattern

Steve Sterling WA7DUH at sgsterling.com
Wed Feb 19 19:44:53 AKST 2014

OK-- will this be a classic pattern airplane contest, or classic
aerobatic schedule/style contest?

The classic pattern airplanes were designed to score well with the
classic schedule and judging criteria.  The were fast and streamlined,
and you whipped through each maneuver in 3-5 seconds, then out of the
box.  With turnaround,  our models necessarily morphed into large
slab-sided bloat-boxes looking more like a flounder than an airplane
that crawl slowly through the air like a bulldozer just to stay in the
box as they flip and flap through 32 segments that now define a single
aerobatic maneuver-- example "Figure 9 with consecutive four ¼ rolls up,
¾ loop with roll integrated in top 180°, full left and right snaps in
the bottom of 180"

So who cares what airplane someone brings? Let's see that 3-D ARF make a
150 mph slow roll or a figure M in 5 seconds!

Its all for fun anyway.   I got a Pletenburg that should move my Hippo
Tippo right along.

Steve