[NSRCA-dist8] scoring

Dennis Cone patternpilot25 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 07:47:28 AKDT 2011

As it looks to me you would be throwing out a round after the third round
has been flown. Correct? While some may have their worst rounds during the
first three, some may have their best. I prefer to have the opportunity of
more rounds to choose from when the time comes for that. So as far as my
choice, I think it points to remaining as we are. Or better yet, fly all six
and throw out the high and low scores.

The other normalization schemes would be interesting to see, and after a
couple of years if the majority likes one of them we could use it in a
contest.
Just my three cents worth and always open for discussion.

Dennis

Sent from my Motorola Xoom and composed using Android 3.0
On May 7, 2011 7:02 AM, "Gordon Anderson" <gaa at owt.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I would like to hear your thoughts on a couple of issues about the scoring
program.

> As you all know my scoring program always shows 4 of 6 rounds when the
standings are reported during the contest. This means as the event proceeds
no rounds will be dropped until we fly the 5th round.
> The guys in D7 that use my program would prefer a different display mode
during the event as defined below:
> Rounds flown Rounds used
> 1 1
> 2 2
> 3 2
> 4 3
> 5 4
> 6 4
> To keep things simple I would like to use the same procedure here in D8,
are you all ok with this?

> Also I have added three normalization schemes to the scoring program:
> 1.) Normalize to the maximum round score. This is the default mode we
always use and the AMA rule book mode.
> 2.) Normalize to the average of all pilots for each round. This is a mode
one of the guys in D7 wants to try, interesting!
> 3.) No normalization, use raw scores.
>
> So for fun at the contests we can see what the impact would be of
different modes by just selecting each option and printing the results. I am
not proposing that we do it any different than before but it will be fun to
see the affect. I have heard a lot of speculation about using no
normalization so now we can see!