[NSRCA-dist7] DC points question and update

Peter Vogel vogel.peter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 10:16:59 AKST 2017

I suggest that district points should count for all contests happening on
or after the day you join/renew.  So, for example, if someone attends a
contest in Feb but doesn't renew until March 1, the contest in Feb would
not count toward points for them but all contests in March, including one
happening on March 1 would count.

I like the other district's point systems a little better, though I
definitely see value in the D7's "normalization" system that keeps things
close when pilots are very evenly matched because 2nd place gets almost as
many points as 1st place if you flew almost as well...  But every other
district counts points based on your placement and the # of places beaten
(i.e. starting at 1st place: 5,4,3,2,1 points + 1 bonus point for every
pilot beaten up to 5 (so 1st place among 6 pilots would be worth 10 points,
while second place is worth 8, etc.).

Other districts count the best 4-5 contests for each pilot.   From my POV,
this would encourage participation across the board -- larger contests
because if you fail to attend a large contest you are potentially giving a
close competitor a huge chunk of points, smaller contests because you don't
want a close competitor walking through with 5 unanswered points because
you didn't show up.  To make the difference between places slightly less
meaningful when the pilots were running a close race (there were several
contests last year in several classes where the difference between 1st and
2nd place was less than 1 point out of 4000 and the diff between 1st and
3rd was single digit points as well) you could do a couple of interesting
things:  bonus points for a "beaten" pilot only if you beat them by more
than 10 points.  In such a case at a large contest like my example above
but where 1, 2, 3 places are closely competed (within 10 points all 3) the
winner would get 8 points, and 2nd place would get 7  points.

One way to address the # of contests someone can attend issue would be to
say "they ALL count" with a minimum of 3-5, but the points you carry into
the district championship are based on the AVERAGE.  So, for example, if I
attend 10 contests and earn 10,8,6,7,10,6,8,9,8,9 points, my total is 81
points for an average of 8.1.  If a competitor came to 3 contests and got
10,10,10 points, their total is 30 points but divided by the minimum
contest count (for the sake of argument, make it 4) for an average of 7.5
points.  The disadvantage here is that counting them all penalizes someone
attending a lot of contests and occasionally not coming in 1st...

Alternatively, you count only 3-5 (and average) but then grant a bonus
point for each additional contest attended.  Using my example above but
with a minimum contest count of 3, I'd have 29 points to go into the
average, but with 7 bonus points for the additional 7 contests I attended
so 36/3 = 12 points going into the district championship up against the 10
points of my competitor who attended 3 contests.  At the district
championship if they win and get 10 points and I take second and get 8
points, we're tied up and the tie breaker is the winner of the championship
contest itself!  This rewards pilots who go to more contests, but not at
the cost of the "best" pilot winning...

Peter+

--
Director, Fixed Wing Flight Training
Associate Vice President, Academy of Model Aeronautics District X