[NSRCA-dist7] FAI in D7

Anthony Frackowiak frackowiak at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 3 16:48:44 AKST 2012

Hi,

I have felt before and I still feel that F3A Pilots should be prepared
to fly both. If not, fly Masters. As a CD I am totally against
creating classes in this District that are not also National. So I am
completely against this idea of a "silver" and "gold' F3A classes.
There are other ways to handle the overload of Masters if that is
indeed what happens. I also feel that our District Championships in
F3A should include Unknown rounds. How in the world does an F3A pilot
prepare to fly Unknowns with no competitions including them?

As to the drop off in F3A pilots, I went back and looked at who was
flying in 2009, 2010 and 2011. I think that the drop in F3A
competitors are for a lot of other reasons then just having to fly
both patterns.

I agree with much of what Chris said. The real problem is not F3A or
Masters. It's Sportsman and Intermediate. If pattern and hence the
NSRCA does not start to try to do something to increase the interest
in flying pattern, it really doesn't matter. We are a dying event.
Making Advanced and Masters more difficult is also not a solution. I'm
starting to help Jean Greear work on Intermediate. That in itself is a
huge jump from Sportsman. What will making Advanced more difficult do
to someone in Intermediate?

The problem that I see in a very big way lately is that the powers to
be who are controlling the event, and by that I mean the NSRCA and the
Contest Board, are set in their ways and are apparently happy with the
status quo. Any significant change that could really help
participation in pattern gets shot down very quickly. Until this
changes we need to just be ready for more of the same.

BTW, I have been flying P-13 and starting to work on F-13. P-13 is  a
much better pattern then P-11 but it is definitely more difficult then
the current Masters pattern. F-13 is crazy hard. It will take a big
commitment to fly F-13 well. But if a current F3A pilot or someone
thinking of flying F3A can't handle it, then work to get that event
changed or fly an AMA class.

Tony Frackowiak