[NSRCA-dist7] FAI at District 7 contests for 2011.

Jon Carter joncarter60 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 7 16:15:01 AKST 2011

Attention all District 7 CD's and FAI pilots.

Here are my FAI recommendations and an outline of how I will run the FAI
class at the D7 Championships. This is a portion of my K-Factor article that
should be out very soon.

As the FAI pilots in D7 will remember we had many discussions last year
regarding flying the "F" sequence at local contests. I ended up proposing an
interim solution that allowed "F" to be flown at local contests at the CD's
discretion but would really not score the "F" sequence and would not require
any pilot to fly it. I heard both positive and negative comments last year
and over the winter regarding this issue. Since this why you guys pay me the
"big bucks" I now have a proposal for the 2011 season!

2011 District 7 FAI Proposal for local contests

*        Any FAI pilot who wants to may fly two rounds of F at a local
contest, with the CD's permission. To simplify things for the CD I think
that this should be limited to the last two rounds on Sunday. If the CD is
willing to permit this, it must be mentioned as far in advance as possible.
(On the website and in the contest flyer at the minimum) I encourage CD's to
offer the "F" sequence. If the CD does not want to fly the "F" sequence, or
no pilots ant to fly it, FAI will be flown as usual with a best 4 out of 6
"P" sequences.

*        The "F" sequence scores will be entered properly as an "F"
sequence. If a pilot does not want to fly the "F" sequence he may choose to
fly the "P" sequence for rounds 5 and 6 but his scores for those two rounds
will be discarded in the final contest tabulation. What I would like to see
for those pilots who are nervous about "F" is for them to fly the sequence
and if a certain maneuver poses a danger to the aircraft, the pilot should
just fly through it while telling the judges that he is bypassing that
maneuver.

*        The overall contest score will simply be the best 4 out of 6 rounds
flown. Please note, you are not required to carry an "F" score in the final
contest tabulation.

It is my hope that this will allow those pilots who want too, to fly "F" in
front of judges and will encourage those pilots who are unsure of "F" to
give it a shot.

Here is how the FAI class will be run and scored at the District
Championships.

2011 District 7 FAI at the District Championships

*        The season championships for District 7 will be run in the
following fashion.

o       4 rounds of "P" will be flown.

o       2 rounds of "F" will be flown.

o       The final contest score will be the total of the pilots' best 3 out
of 4 "P" scores and their best 1 out of 2 "F" scores.

Thanks

Jon Carter

D7 - VP