[NSRCA-dist7] A proposal for FAI at the local level

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Wed Mar 10 05:48:28 AKST 2010

Jon, thanks for posting the proposal.  I can support this approach to
moving forward.

Don

In a message dated 3/9/2010 9:14:48 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
joncarter60 at comcast.net writes:

Local contests  and FAI: A modest Proposal.
As I have indicated on the D7 list  and in e-mails to most of the D7 FAI
pilots I think that we need to come to a  decision/recommendation for the FAI
class at local contests as soon as  possible. At this point I have spoken
with almost every D7 pilot who flew in  an FAI contest during the 2009 season.
I would like to begin by stating some  facts, some assumptions and some
goals.
Facts:
    *   The 2010  contest season started in Phoenix on 11/14/2009 and we
are 3 contests  into the season.
    *   Since we have  already begun the season, I do not support adding “F”
 as a required element  at the D7 Championships for the 2010 season.
    *   There are  strong opinions on both sides of this issue.
    *   Adding the “F”  schedule at local contests is a significant change
to the way we have  “traditionally” flown FAI.
    *   It is up to  each individual CD to structure and run his contest in
a manner that follows  the rules and satisfies the needs of his club and
his  pilots.
Assumptions:
    *   Most D7 FAI  pilots support an option to assist the pilots who go
to the Nats by  providing them with a way to fly judged “F”  sequences.
    *   Many D7 FAI  pilots think that flying the “F’ sequence at local
contests would be fun,  challenging and a way to more fully align ourselves
with what it means to  fly “FAI”
    *   There will be a  significant “learning” curve in judging the “F”
sequence.
Goals:
    *   Arrive at a set  of guidelines for the 2010 season that will give
an event CD a framework for  running the FAI class this year and allow pilots
who choose to, the  ability to fly “F” and receive scores.
    *   Provide a path  that will allow us to offer the “F” sequence at
local contests and the  District Championships in 2011 and going forward if so
 desired.
    *   If we make  changes, ensure that a process of review is completed
to determine the  positive or negative impact of the changes after the
season
Proposal for  the remainder of this year
Any FAI pilot who wants to may fly  two rounds of F at a local contest,
with the CD’s permission. To simplify  things for the CD I think that this
should be limited to the last two rounds  on Sunday. If the CD is willing to
permit this, it must be mentioned as far in  advance as possible. (On the
website and in the contest flyer at the minimum)  If the CD does not want to fly
the “F” sequence, or no pilots want to, FAI  will be flown as usual with a
best 4 out of 6 “P”  sequences.
The F schedule scores will simply  be entered into the computer as a P
schedule. This will apply the “P”  K-Factors to the “F” sequence. This is
obviously a “handicap” for the pilots  who choose to fly the “F” sequence
(~17%). It does though allow them to fly  the “F” sequence in front of judges
and receive scores that they can review  for areas that need improvement.
All other scoring, i.e. count the  best 4 out of 6 rounds, will be kept as
is.
District  Championships
The District Championship will be  flown as a Schedule “P” contest only.
As I mentioned up above, we are 3  contests into the 2010 season and I do not
think that it is proper to make a  change of this magnitude for the
District Championships at this  time.
The  Future
I believe that we should observe  these changes and their impact on our
local FAI contests for the remainder of  this season. If they appear to be
positive and the majority of the FAI flyers  like them we could make another
step next year. If the idea has strong local  FAI pilot support, I would
support making our local FAI contests a best 3 out  of 4 “P” and a best 1 out of
2 “F” for 2011. Please keep in mind that by  trying something different
this year we are not committing ourselves to any  changes for next year. If we
adopt this proposal we have most of a year for  pilots to see “F” flown
locally and for the rest of us to learn how to judge  it! Remember our goal is
to compete, improve our piloting skills and have  fun!
Thanks
Jon  Carter
NSRCA D7  VP

NSRCA-dist7  mailing  list