[NSRCA-dist7] A proposal for FAI at the local level

Jon Carter joncarter60 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 9 20:14:35 AKST 2010

Local contests and FAI: A modest Proposal.

As I have indicated on the D7 list and in e-mails to most of the D7 FAI
pilots I think that we need to come to a decision/recommendation for the FAI
class at local contests as soon as possible. At this point I have spoken
with almost every D7 pilot who flew in an FAI contest during the 2009
season. I would like to begin by stating some facts, some assumptions and
some goals.

Facts:

*	The 2010 contest season started in Phoenix on 11/14/2009 and we are
3 contests into the season.
*	Since we have already begun the season, I do not support adding "F"
as a required element at the D7 Championships for the 2010 season.
*	There are strong opinions on both sides of this issue.
*	Adding the "F" schedule at local contests is a significant change to
the way we have "traditionally" flown FAI.
*	It is up to each individual CD to structure and run his contest in a
manner that follows the rules and satisfies the needs of his club and his
pilots.

Assumptions:

*	Most D7 FAI pilots support an option to assist the pilots who go to
the Nats by providing them with a way to fly judged "F" sequences.
*	Many D7 FAI pilots think that flying the "F' sequence at local
contests would be fun, challenging and a way to more fully align ourselves
with what it means to fly "FAI"
*	There will be a significant "learning" curve in judging the "F"
sequence.

Goals:

*	Arrive at a set of guidelines for the 2010 season that will give an
event CD a framework for running the FAI class this year and allow pilots
who choose to, the ability to fly "F" and receive scores.
*	Provide a path that will allow us to offer the "F" sequence at local
contests and the District Championships in 2011 and going forward if so
desired.
*	If we make changes, ensure that a process of review is completed to
determine the positive or negative impact of the changes after the season

Proposal for the remainder of this year

Any FAI pilot who wants to may fly two rounds of F at a local contest, with
the CD's permission. To simplify things for the CD I think that this should
be limited to the last two rounds on Sunday. If the CD is willing to permit
this, it must be mentioned as far in advance as possible. (On the website
and in the contest flyer at the minimum) If the CD does not want to fly the
"F" sequence, or no pilots want to, FAI will be flown as usual with a best 4
out of 6 "P" sequences.

The F schedule scores will simply be entered into the computer as a P
schedule. This will apply the "P" K-Factors to the "F" sequence. This is
obviously a "handicap" for the pilots who choose to fly the "F" sequence
(~17%). It does though allow them to fly the "F" sequence in front of judges
and receive scores that they can review for areas that need improvement.

All other scoring, i.e. count the best 4 out of 6 rounds, will be kept as
is.

District Championships

The District Championship will be flown as a Schedule "P" contest only. As I
mentioned up above, we are 3 contests into the 2010 season and I do not
think that it is proper to make a change of this magnitude for the District
Championships at this time.

The Future

I believe that we should observe these changes and their impact on our local
FAI contests for the remainder of this season. If they appear to be positive
and the majority of the FAI flyers like them we could make another step next
year. If the idea has strong local FAI pilot support, I would support making
our local FAI contests a best 3 out of 4 "P" and a best 1 out of 2 "F" for
2011. Please keep in mind that by trying something different this year we
are not committing ourselves to any changes for next year. If we adopt this
proposal we have most of a year for pilots to see "F" flown locally and for
the rest of us to learn how to judge it! Remember our goal is to compete,
improve our piloting skills and have fun!

Thanks

Jon Carter

NSRCA D7 VP