[NSRCA-dist7] FAI: F sequence at local contests

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Sat Mar 6 10:13:27 AKST 2010

OK, after thinking about this for a while, here is my opinion, for whatever
 that is worth.  We are wrestling with a near term request and a longer
term  approach.  Following is my opinion and does not represent anyone else, so
 if you as a FAI flyer agree or don't agree, let Jon and the rest of the
FAI  flyers know what you think or want.

This 'discussion' started as a question framed around whether we should
allow some provision to fly F at the Arvin contest in May to provide a way for
 people that wanted to go to the Nats an opportunity to fly F competitively
prior  to the Nats. And for a few, the opportunity to fly F just because
they wanted  to. So far, so good.  I do not have any problem supporting our D7
members  that want to compete in the Nats.  I can live with some level of
compromise  to support that.  Good for you. Go D7!!!

At this point some of us headed for the popcorn and microwave assuming this
 was going to get
interesting.  And it has.....

A few ideas were batted  around about how to accommodate those wanting to
practice F in a competitive  setting with little or no impact to those that
don't really want to fly F.  Basically, we were looking for a middle ground
to keep everyone happy.   Predictably, the discussion quickly became more
about why that won't work for a  myriad of reasons and we should make a
District wide decision to change the way  we run the FAI class. Now, remember the
original request was to provide an  avenue for 'F' exposure prior to the Nats.

I have flown in the FAI/F3A class for many years under the format we
settled into for local contests. I worked my way up thru all the available AMA
classes over the years and ended up in 'FAI'. I have flown most of my FAI
contests in D7 and have not attended the Nats for many years. Personally, I
don't have much interest in flying F. When I say I 'fly FAI' it is just a
designation for the class I competed in using the same rules for everybody
everybody else in that contest.  I am by no means a world class flyer and  if
I am not qualified to call myself a FAI flyer because I don't fly F, I don't
 have an problem with that, it is just a name.

D7 has been in a mode of flying 'P only' for many years as have most
districts.  We made the FAI class fit into the AMA formats, not the other  way
around. Some strongly feel we are following the 'intent' of the FAI rules,
some don't.  So, if we change the approach, where do we draw the line?  We
'kinda' follow the rules?  We 'mostly' follow the rules?  We  'fully' follow
the rules?

The only black and white answer is 'fully' follow the rules, right  now.
However, I don't believe it is the best near term answer for  D7.  There are
too many ramifications to that decision that will not be  positive for D7.
I would suggest the approach could be to find a way to  'migrate' to that
decision if the majority of FAI flyers think it is the right  direction.

That migration could be a step this year, 2 steps next year, and full blown
 local FAI 3 years from now, or some other agreed on timetable.  For those
CDs that want to provide some F rounds this year, they could announce it
well in advance, and hopefully follow a format that is predictable for  this
year, then current FAI contestants could decide if they want to participate
or not.  No announcement of F with reasonable leadtime defaults to 'P
only'. The CD will have to determine if his offering will be positive or
negative to the turnout, etc. Toward the end of this year, maybe at the District
Championships, the FAI flyers could get together and hash out the format for
 next year.  Maybe we switch to full FAI rules at that time.

Remember, there are 2 things going on in this discussion.  First, a
request to see if we can help our FAI guys that want to go to the Nats?  My  vote
is yes, let's find a way to help them without disrupting our D7  world.
Second, does D7 need to address our FAI format  approach to be  more in line
with the other Districts?  My vote is yes, let's make plans to  migrate there
and get this behind us peacefully with as little negative impact  as
possible this year.  At that point, we can recognize FAI as the  'international'
class it is intended to be, support our top pilots in their  inter-regional,
national and international efforts. Meanwhile we can all  plan how we want to
deal with that change on a personal basis.

I think Jon C is working on a proposed 'template' for this year.  If  we
can all find some way to make it work for this year, we have almost a year to
map out a more concrete plan for next year. We may have individually
sacrifice  something this year in fairness, equal exposure, etc, but I think we
will live  thru it.  After all, the individual CDs are still going to be the
final  vote. You have to choose whether you can live with the format. Those
that fly F  may have an advantage, those that fly P may have an advantage, or
maybe no one  has an advantage, who knows.   F may not be offered at many
contests,  but for those contests where it is, let's all just make it work.

On a more personal note, I am going to start a campaign that gives me a 10%
 advantage over Chip on all maneuvers, no matter what they are, no matter
what  sequence.  I would appreciate your vote for my proposal
Unfortunately, I will still get my head handed to me......

Don Atwood

In a message dated 3/5/2010 4:06:08 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,