[NSRCA-dist7] Clarification on FAI maneuver 1

Scott scottcov at comcast.net
Thu May 1 11:37:17 AKDT 2008

Don: I agree with your approach with the inverted portion of the 2 of 4
being equal to the knife edge.  If the inverted section was not equal, then
it is not really a 2 of 4.

 sc - Several I have spoken with think there is NO inverted flight, you do
the KE then push immediately. It's kind of like where the center of a 4
point is, by definition, it's the inverted portion of the maneuver, but in
reality, it's not, it's at the transition of inverted to KE - When I spoke
to the judging committee, they told me it's N-1 for the center - so a 4
point is defined as 4-1=3 and the 3rd point is the end of KE, so the center
is at inverted flight if you define it this way. This is also defined by a
'roll' - we all agree the center of a roll is inverted flight, and per the
judging committee, a 4-point ROLL is a roll, and the center can't be
different because it's a roll. If we use this as the criteria, 2 of 4, is a
2 point roll, 2-1 = 1 so the center is the middle of point 1, which is KE,
so there is no inverted flight after the KE, it's KE then push. I just want
to know what others think. It's silly to lose points if we don't all agree
on how it should be done.

My understanding is that the geometrically, the maneuver is a square with
half loops on either end.

Since I don't judge FAI, let's hear from those that do.  What are you
looking for and why?

sc- I just want to know how to fly this per those the Judge this. I don't
care which way we define it, but I do not want to have points deducted
because the Judge wants to see and equal line segment when inverted, and
another judge does  not want to see any inverted flight.

sc

Don

In a message dated 5/1/2008 9:55:18 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,