[NSRCA-dist4] YS-120NC vs. me

bruce & sandy bruceher at bright.net
Mon May 25 03:08:07 AKDT 2009

Hi Guys,

Need a little help/advice here.  Trying to get this YS-120NC running that I bought several years ago.  I think it was supposed to be new, but you know how that goes.  I think it's a regulator problem, but I have almost no experience with regulators.  I'm sure you realize how rare someone with YS engine experience is in and around Quincy, Ohio!!

First attempts--High speed needle about 2 turns out.  Regulator adjusting screw even with top of regulator housing.  Finally got a real rough idle (think I turned regulator adjusting screw in slightly).  Advancing throttle killed it right away, indicating a real rich idle.  I was tired and put plane in barn.  While I was away all of the unused fuel syphoned out of the tank on to the floor (no biggie, remember it is a barn!).  Hard to tell where it leaked out (inverted engine)  imagine it came out the carb intake, but it certainly came through the regulator.

In desperatiion, yesterday I screwed the regulator adjusting screw all the way in until it seated.  Don't think I backed it off at all.  Engine started with a kind of rough idle.  Transition to full throttle (needle 2 turns out) was good.  I didn't play anymore.  Imagine if I back off the adjusting screw to get a smooth idle, the unused fuel will again syphon out of the tank.

So,  you YS wizards, what do I do?  If I should replace the diaphram in the regulator, do I replace the spring too?  Guess replacing the gasket is a given.

Sorry about this, but I don't have anybody to talk to.

Thanks,

Bruce