[NSRCA-dist1] PatternScoring System

Dana Beaton danamaenia at me.com
Mon Nov 9 05:57:00 AKST 2015

Great conversation, thanks all!  What is looks like to me as the first D1 Scoring Team volunteer (feel free to pile on, err, volunteer to help in 2016):

Printers:
Sal reminds us that if they are not used, they may not work when we need them at a contest.  This suggests that CDs continue to bring their trusty printers to their contests.  That said, Joe has generously offered his printer to D1 as a back-up: D1 Scoring Team can bring Joe’s donated printer to contests, just in case.  A Win-win for D1!  I agree with Scott that a printer is basic equipment.  While pilot report PDFs can be mailed after the contest, just printing them out on the spot allows the CD’s job to end with the contest (and not have more work to do the next day at home).

Monitors
The thought of fitting a large monitor in the mini van amongst all the other stuff I bring to contests is not appealing.  Would suggest that a large display monitor be offered at the option of any CD who wished to provide one, and not become a D1 Scoring Team item. (Unless we have volunteers who would like to cart it around to contests next year?)

Smart Phones
May be the way to go if and when scores can be displayed in real time AND there is internet connectivity at the contest site such that scores can be uploaded from MS to server AND contestants can view a web page scoreboard.  Would solve a lot of problems if connectivity is not an issue. Thoughts?

Laptops:
THE core issue.  We have some in D1 that run MS well; and some not so much.  Apparently a clean installation on a relatively recent windows version is key.  A few of us at the LV have not had much success with older, legacy windows versions, so that makes sense.  This is both a local contest/CD issue, as well as a D1 issue, since an uncooperative laptop at any contest affects D1 members.  As Dave called out, last minute, one man (CD or scorekeeper) set-ups have not served us well last season and some preparation is prudent. What would a D1 Scoring Team solution look like? Any suggestions?