[NSRCA-dist1] D1 at the NATs

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 10 20:31:50 AKDT 2009

Again responding to my own email after reading all the responses..

My main point was about not having the "A" game at the NATs..however
good/bad the A game is with practicing alone, short season in D1 etc, how do
we get the A game to the NATs??

Reiterating some points, and adding some others -

- coaching/critiquing sessions on the way to NATs may not the best time -
likely not enough time to do anything more than make some very minor tweaks.

- practice is definitely what you make of it...having goals each flight,
each session, each week, each contest, etc is a good thing.

- coaching/critiquing at contests is difficult and limited without slowing
down the contest.

- the outcome of a contest (local or the NATs) is not determined by a single
judge, so it makes sense to get coaching/critique/feedback from as many
different people as possible.

- calling, coaching, critiquing, judging, trimming, setup, etc are all
separate (but related and overlapping at times) items, and the "best"
practice regiment will recognize/accommodate these different aspects.

- different people have different routines, comfort zones, etc - if the
favored routine is dramatically different than what is possible at the NATs,
then it is understandable why the A game might not show at the NATs.

- serious practicing requires a box - guessing where the center and end
poles are does not cut it - for the pilot or any coaches/judges.

- I think having D1 show up in mass numbers at the NATs helps...more
familiar faces to chat and relax with, to have as callers/helpers, etc.

Probably 80% of my practice flights are by myself.  When coaching/judging is
available, my priority is not to have someone call for me, or critique
during the flight, but watch the flight (better yet, several flights) to see
what errors are present, and how frequently they are present.  Exceptions
being maneuvers where a caller can provide feedback during a maneuver to
help the maneuver (ie, 3, 2, 1, center..).   I often have some very specific
requests of the audience - ie, check for roll centers, roll rates, length of
lines, baseline, box use, etc - and often I will fly the same maneuver
several times and ask which looks best (I may or may not be making small
changes to see what appears better or scores better with the audience).

When I practice alone, I can usually focus for 5 - 10 flights.  When
practicing with a group, I rarely can focus for more than 5-7 flights, as I
think I expend about as much mental energy when I call a flight and provide
guidance during the flight (ie, bank in, bank out, roll right/left,
left/right rudder, etc).

Assume Pilot #1 has a caller (Pilot #2), and 2 observers (Pilots 3 and 4),
and there is a 5 minute preflight discussion (goals for the flight,
particular items to look for, etc), 10 minute flight, and then a 5 minute
post flight discussion.  That would be 4 guys spending 20 minutes for a
single flight, and none of these pilots can be part of the prior or
subsequent flight.  It would take 3 groups of 4 pilots to keep 1 plane in
the air continuously.  Given an 8 hour day, 48 flights, 4 flights each
pilot.  Additional specific flights for specific trimming/testing..could
likely be done concurrently, but outside of the practice airspace.

When / where???  Something to evaluate/assess at the WRAM show meeting in
February?  Try to add this to the contest calendar.fill in gaps.try to avoid
having events scheduled 3 weekends in a row (and 2 weekends in a row if
possible).  Practice sessions best before the NATs are likely better, but
after the NATs could be good as well, to get a head start on new
schedules/classes for the next year.

Further thoughts?

Regards,

Dave