[NSRCA-dist1] D1 at the NATs

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 9 05:40:36 AKDT 2009

I was thinking about this a little more.  How about we figure out a practice
schedule in advance of the new flying season, starting now?  We could
designate a few anchor fields as the planned practice locations for the
schedule.  We would need be mindful of club restrictions and/or
sensitivities  as to the number of times they would allow this, how many
flyers at a time etc.  Maybe we entice clubs with a small donation each time
we do this.

Along with this, designate who will step up to be the main coach/mentor for
each session, along with at least one back up.  We could also put together
sort-of a coaching checklist, with stuff to look for.  Basically, we should
add some real structure that will make the sessions worthwhile and still be
fun.

How does everyone feel about the idea of two flight lines with dedicated
spotters during practice, along with some simple rules of engagement to
allow dual practice with a very minimal risk of mid-airs?  It would be the
spotter responsibility to have the pilot break at the possibility of a
conflict, well before it is too late.  That might be annoying at times, do
the flight schedule could be structured to have dedicated flight slots and
dual practice slots.  Maybe every other hour it's solo, then alternate with
dual practice flights.

Ed