[NSRCA-discussion] Cataract surgery and lens replacement

wcgalligan at gmail.com wcgalligan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 09:24:38 AKDT 2020

Andy,

I just had cataract surgery on both eyes recently right 2/7 and last one last Thursday 3/5.  I opted for the Pan Optix lens that is supposed to give you that 20/20 vision at all distances.  So far....   Right eye done one month ago is getting clearer and clearer.  My reading to T.V distance is extremely good but distance is not really blurry but fuzzy. Eye drops I think cause a little of the fuzziness.  I was out flying a glider today to see how much it affected my flying vision.  And it is not great yet as the left eye has not settled in yet. Flying a precision pattern plane would not work at this point.  From all I have read and watch on YouTube don’t expect your vision to come around quickly.   The close up vision comes in first then the distance and the distance can take up to 10 months for really good clarity.   I’m probably pushing the envelope getting out this quickly but I’m a die hard gotta do it cause I haven’t for 2 months kinda guy.
My biggest and first revelation was how bright and clear colors were.  When I had my right eye done it was a wow experience... close that eye and open the left and it was like I put a yellow filter or sunglasses on.  The right eye after one month is fairly clear and the two together really makes reading and watching T.V. enjoyable.  One draw back is the night vision.  You will experience halo’s around lights.  It’s supposed to get better with time and the brain really needs to figure out what is going on as it has been used to poor vision for quite some time.
If you can handle not flying for a few months then by all means get it done. Or do it during the off season.  Its well worth not having to wear glasses to the end of you time.

The Panoptix lens is what I had  installed. It is not the dual lens like the Restor Lens.  It is supposed to be good for all distances as the lens cut is significantly different.  For now I cant give a rational review as the healing is still on progress  but I will let the group know as things progress. However, there is a significant cost upgrade compared to the standard lens implant. They will also do Lasik to fine tune if needed in the first 24 months.

Wayne Galligan D6