[NSRCA-discussion] Flying stab travel

Scott McNickle nelson_jett at comcast.net
Thu Sep 26 09:11:02 AKDT 2019

Scott, my experience with flying stabs has been with gliders and an Old Timer (a V-Tail Swallow) rather than a Pattern application, but I've been surprised at how much throw it takes.
Can't quote degrees, but in every case the trailing edge needs to go up about the same distance, in inches, as a conventional elevator would.
For example, if the needed elevator throw was 1/2", then the trailing edge of the stab would need to move 1/2" for the same effect.
Looks like a lot, but seems to work.

Scott McNickle