[NSRCA-discussion] Price for a pattern plane...

chuenkan at comcast.net chuenkan at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 06:43:18 AKST 2019

Steve,

My experience is exactly the oposite of yours WRT turnaround.  Back in the early 1990's, Dennis Hunt used to run a Tennessee Turnaround Contest here in Knoxville every fall.  At the time, I was 2-3 years into pattern, flying SPA Novice.  Since there was no Novice in the TA contest, I had to fly Sportsman.  I almost always placed in that higher category, and sometimes won.  In those days, I was an NSRCA member (2032), and flew AMA as well as SPA events.  I love turnaround, and would fly AMA pattern now, except for what *I* consider rediculous maneuvers in the sequences.  The first maneuver that really startled me & put me off "regular" pattern was the "Golf Ball."  Golf Ball???  For me, that was the wrong sport competition...  I still use turnaround maneuvers often when I practice SPA sequences, and continuously consider going back to AMA pattern.  However, at 82 yo, I no longer have the energy to go to SPA and AMA contests.  I can't be a Jamie Strong at my age.  😩

Phil Spelt, AMA 1294, Scientific Leader Member
SPA L-18, Board Member, KCRC Emeritus
Oliver Springs, TN (865) 435-1476v (865) 604-0541c